We're Getting Ready For Some Summer Fun!
We're busy getting ready for our Open House Silent Auction! We'll start the fun right here from June 12th to June 19th with bidding on our travel and sports packages. Then we'll continue the fun on campus at our Open House on June 22nd. If you can't be at the Open House, be sure to place a winning "absentee bid" on your online item(s) and we'll bid for you at the live event!
Right now we are busy collecting donations for both the online and live auctions. The more goodies we have the more money we can raise. And, we're asking for your help. Show your support by contributing to our catalog. Here are some ideas for the kind of things we are looking for:
- Gift cards of any type: Restaurants, shops, pet stores, movie theaters, etc., etc. Did you get a gift card for your birthday that you don't think you'll use? We'd love to have it!
- Sports tickets: If you have season tickets – or know someone who does – please consider donating a few.
- Special Event tickets: If you (or someone you know) has season tickets for the Hollywood Bowl – especially nice box seats for four. Or maybe you have tickets for a lovely summer night of music at the Arboretum. There are so many possibilities and we would love these type of tickets because they are always great sellers!
- Entertainment tickets: Disney, Legoland, Universal Studios, ... Who wouldn't enjoy a day for fun with the knowledge that they are supporting a great cause at the same time?
- Tours to interesting places: Wine tasting, etc.
- Travel: This is a huge category... hotel stays at a nice resort area would be greatly appreciated. If a hotel is local, that would work well too as a "Happy Anniversary" weekend away from the kids.
- Condominiums and vacation homes: Some of you have graciously offered your condos and homes to us in the past and we hope we will hear from you again. If you know anyone who has a nice place that would be willing to donate a week-long stay – or a long weekend as well – we would absolutely love to hear from them.
- Jewelry: For women and for men. You just never know what will strike someone's fancy and bring in a big bid in support of our dogs and their partners.
- Dog stuff: Needless to say we make lots of dog baskets! So we need loads of nice dog toys and gift items for people who love dogs – if it has a paw print on it we can probably use it! What we're asking for here is “high end” items: dog cookie jars, ceramic bowls, dog jewelry, dog beds, feeding stations, x-pens, soft sided crates, breed specific stuff, etc. – anything unusual for a doggie lover!
- Our Wishlist: Any of the items on our Amazon.com Wishlist
- Eye candy: Each of our baskets has a focal point from the list above - a gift certificate(s) of value or an item of value. But before someone bids, we have to catch your their eye somehow. So we add a little eye candy to each basket to make it look lovely and rich and attract lots of bids. A quick trip around Home Goods and you'll find lovely (and inexpensive) items we can use to grab attention to a basket.
Whether you have 1 item or 100 to contribute, your participation is an invaluable part of our fundraising efforts. By donating an item or service, you'll be providing mobility and independence to visually impaired men and women from across the United States and Canada.
And, please let your friends and family know. Spread the word. The more items we offer the more successful our fundraiser will be. Click on the "Refer Friends" button to give others the chance to get involved.
Thank you! Guide Dogs of America thanks you in advance for your donations and your participation.