Celia Thaxter began gardening when she was just a child. She considered the flowers her friends and drew inspiration from them. Here's a chance to see her beautiful garden on Appledore Island as she saw it back in the 1800s. It's a chance to step back in time and experience the unique beauty of the writer's island garden.
Don't lose out on these two tickets to ride from New Castle to the very special Appledore Island aboard the R/V Gulf Challenger. As a part of this unique tour package, you will enjoy a fully-catered luncheon courtesy of Shoals Marine Laboratory in the beautiful Kiggins Commons Dining Room, offering expansive water views and an open deck should you wish to dine en plein air. Appledore Island is an extremely rugged landscape, with uneven, slightly steep, and rocky paths - there are no paved roads or walkways. But the ruggedness is offset by the beauty. Come aboard for a trip back through time.
Donated by: Shoals Marine Laboratory
- Passengers should plan to meet the vessel at UNH's Judd Gregg Marine Research Complex adjacent to the US Coast Guard Station in New Castle, located at 39 Wentworth Rd., New Castle, NH.
- Departure time from New Castle, NH is 9:00am (please arrive by 8:30am).
- Parking at the dock in New Castle, NH is limited.
- Departure time from Shoals Marine Laboratory on Appledore Island is 2:45pm (arrive back in New Castle, NH by 4:00pm).
- Tour participants should be 14 years of age or older and should be in good physical condition. The majority of the day is spent walking, and participants are required to stay with the tour leader(s) for the entire duration of the time on Appledore Island.
- Limited seating is available aboard the boat; passengers must be prepared to stand for the duration of the trip (~45 minutes).
- Call by mid-spring to reserve - certificate expires August 31, 2020.