Outings with Authors!
Lunch with Kathryn Lasky... for your child AND you!!
- Item Number
- Estimated Value
- $250 USD
- Opening Bid
- $100 USD
Kids, Food, an Author. . . and Pig Latin?!!
What do all of these things have in common?!!
Lunch, Giggles and Guffaws with funny gal Kathryn Lasky, author of Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and so much more...!!
Growing up on the ‘prairie’ (which she says sounds better than growing up in the flatlands of Indiana), she spent her childhood playing pirates, flying through the treetops on a homemade trapeze, trying to perfect Pig Latin from her sister, dressing up her dog, and playing hide and seek. School wasn’t her favorite thing and the teachers were “creakingly old ladies with baggy stockings”, none of whom thought she was particularly bright…
Her humor is infectious, and her perspective on life and the day to day happenings make you realize that the child with a ton of imagination, lots of energy, and frustrated by school is just a miniature version of the author!
As a mom, she encourages her children to work hard, pursue interesting things, explore their passions, and to enjoy the little moments that make you… YOU! She loves to see it in those around her as well -- and even has an entire webpage covered with reader artwork. It looks a little like your refrigerator door!
Maybe your child is a budding best-selling author, or perhaps so full of ideas and energy that school has become a virtual punishment -- or maybe your child simply enjoys Pig Latin, silly childhood stories, and giggles…
Come, have lunch with us. Enjoy yourself -- and watch your child have a ball, too!
- What? Lunch for 1 child (ages 10+) and one adult companion
- When? Fall or early Winter of 2010 (most likely in mid-November)
- Where? Chicagoland; fun venue to be determined
- Why? Why Not?!! (ok, ok! Because it is cool for kids to see adults that have done amazing things, even if they weren’t the smartest, coolest, most talented, best looking, nicest, weirdest, fastest, slowest, tallest, shortest… you get the picture! Better yet, they will have fun and YOU will enjoy it, too)
- How? Bid. Now!!
- The luncheon, hosted by Ms. Lasky will be for a total of 10 people: 5 children, each with one adult companion.
- This auction item is for ONE CHILD & ONE ADULT only.
- We will provide contact information and event coordination help at close of auction.
You will find several of these slots under "Coolness for Kids"
CHECK OUT SOME OF HER AWARD WINNING WORK!
Smithsonian Notable Books for Children list for 2009: One Beetle Too Many
2006 IRA Teachers' Choice: Broken Song
Boston Globe Horn Book Award: Weaver's Gift
Newbery Honor: Sugaring Time
ALA Best Book for Young Adults: Beyond the Burning Time
New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book: She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!
American Bookseller's Pick of The List: True North
Library of Congress Notable Book
Parents' Choice Honor Book: The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
National Academy of Science, Best Book of The Year: Monarchs
The Washington Post / Children's Book Guild Award: for the body of Lasky's non-fiction work
Subaru/SB&F Key Award for Science Concepts Nominee
Evanston Public Library Friends stores data...
Your support matters, so Evanston Public Library Friends would like to use your information to keep in touch about things that may matter to you. If you choose to hear from Evanston Public Library Friends, we may contact you in the future about our ongoing efforts.