Roman "Widow Mites are Biblical coins dating from generally 50 BC to 400 AD. These were the coins the widow threw in the Temple treasury that impressed Jesus. They were all she had."
We are offering two coins generously donated by Matthew C. Rankin of Ohio.
These are individually packaged and certified authentic; exact photos are displayed of actual Widow Mites on our auction and please note there is one picture of two Widow Mites with more detail.
Biblical Narrative: "He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, 'Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.'
"In Jesus' times in Palestine, the small copper coin was called a lepton; there was no coin called by the English term "mite" at that time. However, there was a mite in the time of the creation of the King James Bible, as indeed there had been at the time of earliest modern English translation of the New Testament by William Tyndale in 1525. The denomination was well known in the Southern Netherlands. Both the duke of Brabant and the count of Flanders issued them and they were sometimes imitated in the North. English poet Geoffrey Chaucer refers to the myte in his unfinished poem Anelida and Arcite (c. 1370). Originally, the Brabant mijt (maille in French) was 1/76 stuiver, the Flemish mijt 1/48 stuiver. When the two areas were united under the dukes of Burgundy and later under the Habsburgs, the rate of the mijt was set at 1/32 stuiver. More important, they were the very smallest copper coins. By 1611, they were no longer minted, but they were still in circulation." (Above quotes from Wikipedia)
Generously donated by:
Founder and CEO
"The Way," a non-profit organization
2718 Sawbury Boulevard
Columbus, Ohio 43235