India Nature & Wildlife Journeys, 6 days/5 nights for 2
- Item Number
- Estimated Value
- $1,500 USD
- $360 USD to w2ujbs
- Number of Bids
- 11 - Bid History
Nature’s paradise revealed; from the rustic rural landscapes of iridescent paddy-fields and palm fringed hamlets to the vast tranquil waters of Asia’s largest estuarine lagoon, Chilika Lake. Join local conservationists survey Chilika Lake’s wetlands; punt silently through the marsh in a locally crafted boat and observe thousands of local and migratory birds.
After a night’s rest on a hilltop panorama overlooking the lake’s deep blue expanse, cruise it’s breadth to reach a remote island eco-camp backing onto the Bay of Bengal. Explore the narrow sandy strip, swim in the ocean, soak up and sun and feast on delicious succulent seafood. This is nature at its best; raw and pure.
This is a custom-made package provided exclusively for TIES ecoAuction. General information about the key natural habitats visited on the tour can be found here: Grass Routes Journeys - Nature at its best. Please note this is a general link and not specific to the tour itinerary.
Tour dates are valid for 2010 only. Tour dates are flexible, but reservation must be made no less than 60 days prior to departure. Best seasons for this trip are between October and March.
Included: guided tours, local ground transportation, local fees/taxes, most meals (no snacks or drinks), mineral water (in remote areas).
Grass Routes Sustainability Practices:
Grass Routes has an ongoing commitment to minimise negative environmental impacts and make positive contributions to the conservation of biodiversity, wilderness, natural and human heritage.
Walking the Talk...
- Environmental sustainability initiatives: use of local transportation wherever possible to minimize the need for extra vehicles on roads and waterways; use of manual pole boats and bicycles for shorter distance; active contribution to National Parks and Chilika lake beach cleanup efforts; responsible wildlife watching behaviors and no bird-catching policy.
- Engaging travelers: Grass Routes provides guests with guidelines on appropriate environmental practices. In addition, travelers are encouraged to bring their own durable water bottles, and to use biodegradable soaps, shampoos and insect repellents to keep rivers and waterways clean. Travelers are also informed on local culture and proper etiquette.
- Local wisdom: Following the ancient walking tracks set out by Indigenous peoples centuries ago, which helps keep erosion to a minimum; using fresh local organic fruit and vegetables and encouraging organic farming practices; consulting the communities on appropriate bathing spots (downstream from water collection points) and practices.
- Respecting communities: The size of tour groups are kept small to minimize environmental and social impact, and respectful distance is maintained from the local village, without encroaching on local community members' space or disrupting their daily routine. Through a ‘think before you shoot’ camera policy, the importance of responsible and respectful behaviors are emphasized.
- Local friends and partners: With strong emphasis on local participation, Grass Routes invest in capacity building among Local Leaders, guides, drivers, boatmen and village representatives, and utilize tours as opportunities to build friendships, create awareness and generate mutual respect and understanding. Using tourism for funding and support, Grass Routes supports community sustainable development projects with 10% of annual profit.
- Gifts that keep on giving: Grass Routes employs locals only and works with small-scale locally owned and managed hotels and restaurants. A passionate Local Leader accompanies all the tours. Guide and transport services are sourced locally. Through responsible community tourism, Grass Routes encourages alternate sources of income (such as trekking guides, assistants, oarsmen and park rangers) to wildlife smugglers and poachers.
Learn more about Grass Routes Journeys' Sustainability Principles & Practices.
If you need assistance with the purchase of this package or any other items on TIES eco-holiday auction: please contact ecoDestinations@ecotourism.org or +1 202-506-5033 x14.
If you are the successful bidder, you will receive an email from TIES with the certificate confirming your purchase within 24 hours of the auction close. All TIES eco-holiday auction items are valid for one year (excluding the blackout dates noted in the item description) unless otherwise stated. The winner will receive contact details of the trip provider(s) to make travel arrangements.
All proceeds raised from your purchase of this trip will go directly to The International Ecotourism Society to support their numerous projects in support of responsible travel worldwide.
The International Ecotourism Society stores data...
Your support matters, so The International Ecotourism Society would like to use your information to keep in touch about things that may matter to you. If you choose to hear from The International Ecotourism Society, we may contact you in the future about our ongoing efforts.